Sunday, December 5, 2010

Nursing in Public

Well, in the 4 months that I have been breastfeeding, I've only nursed in public a few times.  So many times I would just go to my car (the positives in having a mid summer baby!).  I don't have any problem with it, maybe it just makes me a tiny bit nervous.  So, two of those times have been at Bob Evans :-)  But today, I nursed at church!

We attend a Catholic Church, and just recently officially 'joined' the church.  So they had a welcome brunch today after 9:30 mass.  K was still in FL, so Bug and I went just the two of us.  As we went to mass first, she started to get fussy after we sat down to eat.  So, I just asked my table mates if they cared if I nursed and they all said it was OK by them!  The one woman even made a comment along the lines of 'that's what they were made for!' It was actually a great experience.  As it was a welcome brunch, people kept walking up and saying HI and what not, and it didn't bother anyone that I was nursing at the time.  My experiences with nursing in public have all been positive, but I understand that not everyone is comfortable with it.  Bug is only 4 months old, so it is also not like I am extended nursing in public. 

My first experience at Bob Evans was actually really cute.  There was a mentally handicapped man (not sure of his age) at a table a few away from us.  He kept looking back at us while I was nursing, I am sure curious as to what was going on.  I only hope that someone at the table noticed and explained to him what we were doing.  It didn't bother me at all that he kept checking it out - it's a natural curiousity I think for people. 

Kind of like I can't help but to look at other babies when I see them :-)

Bug is calling, time to play before bed time!

No comments:

Post a Comment