Tuesday, June 21, 2011

It's Hard to Believe

That on this day last year, I was 36 weeks pregnant, and on my third week of bedrest. I was going CRAZY to say the least. It was hot, I was stuck on my couch, K was only around on the weekends because he was back home during the week. I got up just to shower, go pee (which as we all know was like every 10 minutes as Bug did jumping jacks on my bladder), and eat. I wanted so badly to stay pregnant longer, but on the other hand boy was I ready to have our little one!

I ended up being on bedrest for just a little over a month. Once I hit the 37 week mark my Ob released me from bedrest, saying that if I went into labor at that point, she would let me go. Little did we know just how stubborn our little one would be... apparently, since we told her she couldn't come at 32 1/2 weeks like we were worried she was going to (hence the bedrest - threatened PTL), that she would take her time and come when she was good and cooked.

At 38 weeks we stripped my membranes. Some spotting occurred, but that was it. I was a fingertip dilated and about 40% effaced. A week passed.

Then again at 39 weeks she stripped my membranes. Now I was a whole 1/2 centimeter dilated, and about 60% effaced. Another week passed, and boy was it hot out.

Then again at my 40 week appointment, she stripped my membranes. I was still only 1/2 centimeter dilated, but was about 90% effaced. My Ob was surprised (as was my nurse) that I was still pregnant. So was I!! I was SO BIG!!! (Have I ever mentioned that I'm only 5 foot 1/2 inch?) We passed our NST with flying colors (Bug decided to dance dance dance around). The ultrasound showed a great fluid level, and they thought Bug would be about 7 pounds 4 ounces. I knew not to believe that as late term ultrasounds are notoriously wrong.

My Ob made me schedule an induction date, even though I really really really didn't want to be induced. (and had turned her down in the past when she mentioned it). We ended up scheduling it for July 26, just because it would work well for K to be in town when it happened. That would have put me at almost 41 weeks.

Luckily, I only had to wait 4 more days, and our sweet little bug came into this world at 40 weeks and 4 days :-) I will post her birth story on her birthday, as I feel that is very fitting.

I cannot believe it's been almost a year. It's gone by so quick, and I love watching all of her milestones and look forward to more, but I really miss being pregnant, and our little infant.

I love Bug more than anything in the world.


  1. It sounds like quite the birth story. I will be posting my daughter's birth story next month...she's almost 4. Our stories sound fairly similar and I wish you the best!

  2. One month more and your little girl would be 1!

    Happy Birthday to her in advance.

    iclw #36

  3. how sweet :) i had louise at 37.5 weeks, i was lucky-ish, the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy were horrific (kidney stone) as was my birth, but it was all worth it.

  4. Watery- that sounds horrible! Like you havent already dealt with enough just getting there, you know? Hopefully if you do decide for #2 it will ne much better!

  5. Katery lol. Damn auto correct

  6. I love stories like this. Isn't it funny how one second you're miserable and the next you miss it? I can't wait for that story.

  7. I really enjoyed reading this story--to me, the "leading up to birth" stories are just as good as birth stories (though I'm looking forward to reading hers!). I also was worried about induction--my OB wanted to only go 2-3 days past my due date (a Sunday) because of swelling. Luckily, my little monkey came a day before his due date!
    Thanks for commenting on my blog!
    ICLW 33

  8. And so you certainly should. She is among the cutest things on this planet. I'm here from my second ICLW. I look forward to following your journey with Lily as time goes on.

    Best wishes,